A Back of the House at Duke Chapel
Dog and Pony Show
The Ops Team: The Unseen Tale of
Blue and White
Ellie and Jim Ferguson
March 5, 2017
Murky History - not Fake News ☺
- Will's arrival occasioned the evolution of both the Altar Guild and Ushers as they now exist - coincident with the formation of the Congregation.
- Altar Guild - Marge Jones & Alice Phillips
- Ushers - migration from students to current mix.
- Rick, Russ, and GQ 
The Gospel Quartet = the crucifer, two candlebearers, and the one who carries the Bible for the reading of the Gospel by one of the Lectors in the center aisle during the worship service
- Serve the Chapel Administration, not Congregation, thus not all are Congregation members
- Example: request for communion service during a Congregation wedding
- Both groups are responsible year round - 52/52 - for example, even during Congregation Retreats
- Altar guild pool is 15, ushers is 19
- Normal Sunday: Ushers (weekly e-mail/rosters/assignment rotation)
- Communion Sundays: Altar guild; 2) Ushers
- Christmas and Easter: 1) Altar guild; 2) Ushers
Deck the Halls
You can watch a brief time-lapse video of the hanging of the greenery, etc. in preparation for the Christmas season in Duke University Chapel, as organized by Ellie and Jim Ferguson.